The Andhra Education Society was founded in 1943 by the Telugu community of Bombay (now Mumbai), with the aim toetch a distinct cultural space in the educational landscape of the city andsince then, has enduringly upheld cultural significance and established a prominent Telugu identity in the city.
A growing community:
The Telugu community has been an importantpart of the city’s demographic landscape since the mid-1600’s. In the 18th and 19th century, a sizable community of Telugu weavers and construction workers were recognized as a prominent, distinct linguistic group by the Bombay Municipal Corporation, and by the late 1920’s, the BMC had facilitated the official establishment of Telugu primary schools. However, the fast burgeoning community quickly outgrew these limited educational resources.
Humble but visionary beginnings:
It was under these needful circumstances that a group of prominent Andhras led by Shri PatruniVenkata Narayana founded the Andhra Education Society. With limited means at their disposal, the A.E.S. School was set up in a small apartment in Dadar, with one teacher and 9 children on August 15, 1946.
Real estate struggles:
With the procurement of real estate remaining inaccessible to this venture, it was up to the eminent Andhra presence in the city to rally and secure better land and accommodation for the Society’s endeavours.
Through the good offices of Shri S.M.Y Sastry, the school managed to get 4 rooms in the ex- military hutments at Sion. Subsequently, the school expanded to include a secondary school in 1952 and then a Junior College in 1975, to cater more effectively to the growing needs of the community.
Final establishment and formation of the Building Fund Committee:
In 1963, the society acquired 3,870 sq. yds. atWadala, and the School Building that stands even today, was obtained from the Bombay Municipal Corporation (BMC).
A Building Fund Committee was formedin order to facilitate adequate and timely funding, and the finished establishment was finally inaugurated on 15th November, 1964 by Shri. K. Brahmanand Reddy, the then Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
It is the unending support of donors and patrons to this enduring institution that grew the AES from its modest origins in a small flat into a full-fledged establishment that is 4000 students strong today.